Anti Gabe'N'Missing Information
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum isn't your average Father Grigori's. AGNMI is like your heart. It justs stops beating when you are dead

HomeRegisterLog in

What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?

Go down 
+6
TheCaptain943
Jenkins
HAL 9000
LambdaCore 21
JustBarney
Sven
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sven

Sven

What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? Empty
PostSubject: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 pm

I've thought about this before in the past, but never decided to make my thoughts know.n. But now, as I sit here, very bored and agitated towards multiple un-Half-Life-2-related communities, I thought that I should bring this up.

One of the reasons why the original story of Half-Life 2, the long story, was cut was because it was too long and stretched the storyline/plot too thin. But what if it was released in a series of episodes, much like the retail version of Half-Life 2? What if the storyline of the Half-Life 2 Beta (henceforth abbreviated as HL2B) was more similar to the retail Half-Life 2 (henceforth known as HL2); or rather, if the order of events (Trainstation->Kleiner's Lab->Etc.) still retained some of the original elements and charm of HL2B?

I think, through the use of episodes, that the HL2B story could be fully realized. Think about it for a second. There are many climatic events that happen throughout the story. And, if the HL2B was updated (as in, to include portal storms and Aperture Science [instead of Arbeit Laboritories {correct me if I'm wrong}]), it would be possible to show Valve what could've been, had they known how the story has evolved since 2003 (during that time).

This thread is basically an open discussion for all members to have friendly debate about how my hypothetical situation would've turned out. Essentially, I want you to answer these questions, and discuss with others why they might have answered them differently. Hopefully this thread could help inspire a truly successful mod to Episode 2, based on the things discussed here.

1. In your opinion, would HL2B be possible (and in great detail) if it was broken into episodes?
  2. How many episodes would be needed to fully represent the Beta/Leak?
  3. How well would the current HL2 enemies (Hunters, Advisors, etc) work with the Beta ones (Hydra, Houndeye, Bullsquid)?
  4. Would the story itself be more interesting if it had all these different enemies, like Half-Life 1 was?
  5. If the two storylines were to somehow crash, what would have to change in this new, ONE storyline to make the plot consistent? (For example, Alyx Vance couldn't have 2 fathers, nor could she die in the skyscraper if she were to continue being in the story for the confrontation with the Consul/Breen.)

For my own personal, semi-related thoughts, I think that Eli Vance could stay the same old Eli that we know (Alyx's father), and a new character be introduced to fill the gap left by Capt Vance. His name would be a combo between the old Eli and the old Capt. His name should/would be Capt Maxwell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myaperturelabs.com
JustBarney

JustBarney

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Nice idea, but it's already been taken by Pissing Inforgaytion Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sven

Sven

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 2:36 pm

JustBarney wrote:
For fucks sake. Well, I guess the reason why I wouldn't know that is because I never played version 1.5. I only ever played 1.4 about a year ago.

God damn it.
Back to top Go down
LambdaCore 21
Drama Queen
LambdaCore 21

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:56 pm

imo you need 3 Episodes for realizing the Half-Life 2 Beta

Episode One:

All Day 1 (Introduction + Traptown) and Day 2 maps until the Air Conditioner is destroyed (explosion, Gordon fades out from shockwave) ---> cliffhanger

Episode Two:

All Day 3 maps (Hyperborea, Kraken Base, Weather Control) until Gordon crashes into Vertigo (fades out) ---> cliffhanger

Episode 3:

Alyx dead + brutal streetwars and E3_stridershit until epic Consul bossfight
Back to top Go down
JustBarney

JustBarney

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm

LambdaCore 21 wrote:
imo you need 3 Episodes for realizing the Half-Life 2 Beta

Episode One:

All Day 1 (Introduction + Traptown) and Day 2 maps until the Air Conditioner is destroyed (explosion, Gordon fades out from shockwave) ---> cliffhanger

Episode Two:

All Day 3 maps (Hyperborea, Kraken Base, Weather Control) until Gordon crashes into Vertigo (fades out) ---> cliffhanger

Episode 3:

Alyx dead + brutal streetwars and E3_stridershit until epic Consul bossfight
Alyx gets captured, not killed.
Back to top Go down
HAL 9000
Admin of the 21st Reich
HAL 9000

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:20 pm

well, she was hurt (died from loss of blood?)
Back to top Go down
http://agnmi.roflforum.net
Jenkins

Jenkins

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Sven wrote:
JustBarney wrote:
For fucks sake. Well, I guess the reason why I wouldn't know that is because I never played version 1.5. I only ever played 1.4 about a year ago.

God damn it.

Yep same... I refuse to play anything by them anymore, not because i hate the game i just hate the creators lol..

It's why i don't shop at a certain supermarket because its nothing against the products its the actual company i have a problem with tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/mods/toxisresiduum
JustBarney

JustBarney

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

HAL 9000 wrote:
Hurt and captured.
Back to top Go down
TheCaptain943
I'm the Captain. End of story
TheCaptain943

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 7:08 pm

JustBarney wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:
Hurt and captured.
Raped?
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheCaptain76561197997145833
Sven

Sven

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 7:15 pm

TheCaptain943 wrote:
JustBarney wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:
Hurt and captured.
Raped?
Probably more of a Eli-was-taken-style of kidnapping.. but sure, if you say so.
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

TheNewCity

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:28 am

Alyx dying is far more awesome and realistic. I don't want to save some latex suit bitch after I barely survived a plane crash in my power armor. I want to kill fucking everything.
Back to top Go down
Jenkins

Jenkins

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 am

TheNewCity wrote:
Alyx dying is far more awesome and realistic. I don't want to save some latex suit bitch after I barely survived a plane crash in my power armor. I want to kill fucking everything.
Very good!
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

TheNewCity

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 am

Also, I prefer the Maxwell/Vance idea, because it leaves room for Eli to be a fucking nutcase who lost his wife, child and leg and now hangs out in his hanging gardens style lair under a ship, and leaves room for Vance to be a no-nonsense awesome general.
Back to top Go down
LambdaCore 21
Drama Queen
LambdaCore 21

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 am

xD
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

TheNewCity

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 am

Riots.

Stolen from Love Tub
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

TheNewCity

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 am

My vision of how this shit would work is posted in... somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Crash-Override
State of the Badass-art
Crash-Override

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 am

alyx died only in one storyline, in every single other one she is injured and captured by the combine (ill refer you to the picture inb RTB, she is being held by helena and the consul is smug grining at freeman while tapping a coffin (which i thought was just magnificent...)

and don't you dare ruin my image of how hot alyx used to be before retail Sad rofl i wanted my gun toting, nade throwing red head chick Sad Sad Sad Sad :'(
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Doomlord
Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus
Inquisitor Doomlord

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 am

valve is to blaim
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Felgerian
TheNewCity

TheNewCity

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 am

Crash-Override wrote:
alyx died only in one storyline, in every single other one she is injured and captured by the combine (ill refer you to the picture inb RTB, she is being held by helena and the consul is smug grining at freeman while tapping a coffin (which i thought was just magnificent...)

and don't you dare ruin my image of how hot alyx used to be before retail Sad rofl i wanted my gun toting, nade throwing red head chick Sad Sad Sad Sad :'(

He doesn't look smug, he's scared as shit.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Doomlord
Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus
Inquisitor Doomlord

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am

Animal
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Felgerian
katatonic717
—————————————— I AM A NAZI |===| THE SHAME OF MANKIND ——————————————

Location : Aimlessly wandering the cybernetic void... Searching for a home...

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 am

TheNewCity wrote:
Crash-Override wrote:

He doesn't look smug, he's scared as shit.

What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? Haters_gonna_hate_by_catmanmovies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?   What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes? Empty

Back to top Go down

What if: the Half-Life 2 Beta was broken down into episodes?
Page 1 of 1